On 09/11/2014 09:12 AM, Steven G. Johnson wrote:
On Wednesday, September 10, 2014 10:37:30 PM UTC-4, Jimmie Houchin wrote:

    It is very nice to reduce the number of times dropping down into C/C++
    will be required. It is required any time you need to connect to a
    C/C++
    library.

Actually, it's never required to drop down to C just to call a C
library; you can do that quite comfortably from Julia using ccall,
without writing a single line of C code.   Calling C++ is currently more
tricky (not just in Julia; this is true in other languages as well); you
currently need C wrappers (much like what SWIG does).  However, there is
a prototype package to call C++ that should become available in the
Julia 0.4 timeframe (since it relies on some new language features
slated to appear in Julia 0.4).

You are correct. I expressed that badly.

I do very much look forward to the ability to call C++ natively. I have some C++ libraries that I want to use. One has a C wrapper and one does not. It will be nice to not require a C wrapper.

Jimmie