I’m in the process of retooling ApproxFun to support general
“FunctionSpace”s, so that one needs to only override a few routines
(points,transform,itransform,diff,…) to get most the features of ApproxFun for
free for othert function spaces (e.g., JacobiSpace for Jacobi polynomials,
CosSpace for cosine expansion, etc.).  A PiecewiseSpace would be really easy to
implement in this framework.

        There are some examples in ApproxFun/examples/ but no where near as
extensive as chebfun. A gallery sounds like a good idea, though maybe once the
basic framework settles down a bit.