Part of the problem is the definition of "benchmark".  If all you are doing
is solving a linear system or evaluating a decomposition then you are just
benchmarking the BLAS/LAPACK implementation.  It doesn't really matter if
user-facing language is Matlab or Octave or R or Julia.  They are just a
thin wrapper around the BLAS/LAPACK calls in cases like this