I agree with that.

In our meetups we generally get good reactions from the people who
implement their own algorithms (theoretical physicists, machine
learning researchers, etc.), but not much from the data analysts.

Analyst people come up hearing about Julia much faster than R, and
then after learning about the language they get disappointed as it's
not mature enough to use it off-the-shelf.