I noticed the other day that calling expanduser on an empty string throws a
BoundsError when using a UNIX platform. Whether this is a bug or a feature
will probably depend entirely on who you ask. More importantly though, in
my eyes, doing the same thing on Windows returns an empty string instead.
This inconsistency definitely seems like a bug to me.

In my eyes the UNIX implementation should be changed to check for a empty
string and return it but I was wondering what other people thought of this?