Building from Github .tar.gz files are supported as long as you download
the tar.gz files from the "releases" page e.g. this one
<https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/releases>.  Click the big green button.
Cloning over https is simple, you just need to use that URL instead of the
git:// URL, and everything else should work normally.  Specifically, you
should be able to do:

git clone https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia.git

And it should work just fine, barring any strange network problems.

However, it looks to me like your compiler is too old (and you just sent a
message out about that).  Unless you have some reason to compile it
yourself, could I ask you to try out a new binary distribution we're
testing?  It's just a .tar.gz file that you extract somewhere and you can
run Julia straight out of that, no installation necessary.  You can
download the latest 64-bit version here
<http://status.julialang.org/download/linux-x86_64>, or the latest 32-bit
version here <http://status.julialang.org/download/linux-i386>.

If you want to compile your own copy, I'd suggest adding the
OPENBLAS_DYNAMIC_ARCH=0 line to the end of your make invocation, as Glen's
link suggests.
-E