You don't need the second statement unless you need a branch to add your
own commits/modifications to Julia. You can at any point switch to the
master branch with "git checkout master", but if you switch often, I'd
recommend that you clone two copies so that you don't have to rebuild all
the dependencies every time you switch. The makefiles might also contain
bugs that might cause trouble when switching between branches that have
diverged a lot.

Ivar