Yes, it can be tricky to reduce these things because inference, inlining,
etc. may be subtly different depending on the context (e.g. global
variables or top-level scope). If possible try to get it down to 50 lines
or so.

This is an inference issue, but I'm not sure if anyone can say much more
than that without additional context...
See for example: https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/issues/3743