@Stefan, they do, but we've had a longstanding issue
<https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/issues/1339> regarding whether we're
releasing it as aggressively as we might need to in order to really shrink
the number of pages we've got allocated.

In short; calling gc() may not actually reduce the "Memory" column on OSX,
however once your process starts to page to disk, OSX seems to come to its
wits and start unmapping pages.
-E