> (I expect people here to proclaim that higher order functions like map are
> slow and raw loops shall be used instead.
> I disagree and see no point why a higher order function has to be
> necessarily slower. It's clear and concise syntax.)

Nobody says higher order functions can't be much faster than they are
today. The problem is that they currently are slow, because nobody with the
ability has taken the time to improve the situation yet. Unlike Haskell,
Julia doesn't have semantics optimized for making higher order functions
fast, so there are limits to what can be done.