I'm implementing an inference algorithm and am running into memory
allocation issues that are slowing it down. I created a minimal example
that resembles my algorithm and see that the problem persists.

The issue is that Julia is allocating a lot of extra memory when adding
matrices together. This happens regardless of whether or not I preallocate
the output matrix.

Minimal example:
https://gist.github.com/colincsl/ab44884c5542539f813d

Memory output of minimal example (using julia --track-allocation=user):
https://gist.github.com/colincsl/c9c9dd86fca277705873

Am I misunderstanding something? Should I be performing the operation
differently?

One thing I've played with is the matrix C. The indices are a sliding
window (e.g. use C[t-10:t] for all t). When I remove C from the equation
the performance increases by a factor of 2.5. However, it still uses more
memory than expected. Could this be the primary issue?