Yes, I found that link about Sublime Text, too. Here is my summary.

Sublime Text

  - Shift-Left will give you "column selection" mode --
    even if you have reset the primary mouse button from right to left hand
    (which is a bit irritating).

  - Select a block of text and press Control-Shift-L, this will also provide
    parallel editing on all lines of the selection.

Atom Editor
All this does *not* work in Atom, at least not for me. Instead:

  - The command "select lines" is what I wanted. I could even bind it to
    the key maps Alt-Shift-up resp. Alt-Shift-down. Nice and helpful.

Light Table

  - Using Control-Space and then in the command tab (Control-Space)
    "Editor: Select lines upward/downward with multiple cursors".

Unfortunately, the command tab closes when clicking a command (How can
I avoid this?). I have to learn how to assign a key combination to it.

Gedit

  - The gedit plugin "multi edit" needs to be loaded. Enter/leave this mode
    with Control-Shift-C. Then edit points will be inserted with Control-E
    at quite different places in the file.

Kate

  - Block selection mode will be enabled with Control-Shift-B. The a block
    region will be selected with the mouse.

Conclusion: It's not recommended to use too many editor, otherwise the
different key mappings will drive you crazy.

Sorry to all for so much fuss about a tiny editing feature.