I received an email today about being a technical reviewer for a book on
Julia!

We're currently developing a book titled *Mastering Julia* aiming at
> building statistical models with linear regressions and analysis of
> variance (ANOVA) and will be working on probability, probability
> distributions, and random variables covering  data structures such as
> matrices, lists, factors, and data frames. This book is targeted at
> Intermediate
> level developer in statistical languages and one who will be having
> understanding of Core elements and applications.
>
> Would you be interested in acting as reviewer for this book?

Now, I enjoy Julia, and I'm happy to help promote the language, but I don't
think I'm particularly qualified to be a technical reviewer of a book on
Julia programming. I found this thread on julia-dev:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/julia-dev/HrdpknFgdfk/SAVMyyacT_sJ
where Packt contacted a large number of folks seeking an author.

Has anyone else received something like this? In principle, I'm all in
favour of producing promotional or teaching materials, but I'm surprised it
lead to me being contacted.