On Fri, Dec 05 2014, Páll Haraldsson <pall.haralds...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes I did read it. Note, I meant would you still recommend (Common) Lisp
> for anything, you seem to argue well for Julia (and against
> "Lisp"/S-expressions while you're at it?). Note also, I said "would you

Sure -- for example, if I wanted a language with macros and a stable
standard, I would go for CL at the moment. Or if I wanted well-tested
statistics libraries and plotting, I would put up with R for a little
more time. For some tasks I would use C. etc etc.

(Also, I think you misunderstood something -- I never argued against
S-expressions. I like them, very much, in fact.)

> Is there a good way to call any (or all) of the S-expressions languages
> from Julia? I'm not even sure it's important too, there could be lots of
> useful preexisting code.

I am not sure why you would want to do that -- reimplementation would
almost always be preferable.

> Libraries are also "tools", I'm just not at all convinced we need many
> languages (for different "purposes", maybe with very few limited
> exceptions) rather than just new libraries. That seems to be a failure of
> computer science.

Well, then don't create new languages. The creators of Julia were
convinced they needed a new language, so they made one. I am not sure
that eveyone's preferences can be aggregated into a "we". People create
languages when they are motivated to do so, this is not centrally
planned or coordinated.

> Yes, I'm not too worried about me. I don't think I'm wasting time
> learning (more about) Julia, I just do not want to point people to it
> if there are even better languages available or if there is some
> defect in Julia I'm missing. It seems to be a good first language to
> learn, not just for "matrix methods" (is that all the Universities
> have started teaching with Julia?).

Julia as a first language... dunno. Possibly with a well-qualified
instructor who puts a lot of effort into it, it could work even at this
stage. But in a university setting the lack of a textbook is a problem,
also I guess TA's would be hard to find. Depends on the audience and
what they want to do with the language. As a self-taught first language:
probably not the best choice at this stage.

Best,

Tamas