Yes, you're right John.
I'm using Windows and viewing with Notepad.
File appears OK if I use Sublime Text or Notepad++.

The file contains LF only, which apparently Notepad doesn't interpret
properly.
Interestingly, the equivalent C code (Visual C++ for Windows) creates CR/LF
pairs. Presumably this is Microsoft specific, specifically for Windows??