Just to be clear (otherwise someone is going to link to this thread and say
that Julia insists that you should write long, devectorized code): while
writing slightly longer, more explicit code is – for now – sometimes the
easiest way to make your code really fast, this is not a Julia mantra nor a
philosophical underpinning of the language. We would like, through improved
compiler technology, to make the shortest, most convenient way to write
something also the fastest. But we won't cheat to accomplish this by doing
something hacky that doesn't generalize – and that *is* a philosophical
underpinning of the language.

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 3:37 PM, DumpsterDoofus <peter.richter....@gmail.com