>From the standpoint of performance and memory allocation (i.e., boxing), what
matters is whether types are concrete, because (currently) the compiler only
generates optimized code for concrete types. Anything declared to be a Union
type will have the same problems as something that's type-unstable (in a
sense, this is indeed the definition of type-instability).

You can test whether a type is concrete with `isleaftype`. Here's a neat
example:

    function simplesum(A)
        s = 0.0
        @inbounds for a in A
            s += a

Now compare

    code_native(simplesum, (Array{Int},))

against

    code_native(simplesum, (Array{Int,2},))

Also see:

    julia> isleaftype(Array{Int})
    false

    julia> isleaftype(Array{Int,2})
    true

In other words, simply declaring a type doesn't necessarily help matters,
unless that type is concrete.

--Tim