I am reading again about the type system, esp in
http://julia.readthedocs.org/en/latest/manual/types/ .  I am a good guinea
pig for a manual, because I don't know too much.

a tuple is like function arguments without the functions.  so,

    mytuple=(1,"ab",(3,4),"5")

is a tuple.  good.

what can I do with a typle?  the manual tells me right upfront that I can
do a typeof(mytuple) function call to see its types.  good.

alas, then it goes into intricacies of how types "sort-of" inherit.  I need
a few more basics first.

I would suggest adding to the docs right after the typeof function that,
e.g., mytuple[2] shows the contents of the second parameter.  the julia cli
prints the contents.  the examples would be a little clearer, perhaps, if
one used a nested tuple, like (1,2,("foo",3),"bar").

before getting into type relations, I would also add how one creates a
named tuple.  since open() does exactly this.  well, maybe I am wrong.  the
docs say it returns a (stream,process), but typeof( open(`gzcat d.csv.gz`)
tells me I have a (Pipe,Process).

I know how to extract the n-th component of the open() returned tuple (with
the [] index operator), but I don't know how to get its name.  x.Pipe does
not work for open().

well, my point is that it would be useful to add a few more examples and
explanations here.

regards,

/iaw