Simon,

The commercial solver  was Comsol 4.4.   I suppose it is implemented in C
or C++.  Some of the user interface is probably in Java.

I will certainly consider your suggestion about the types. Frankly, I
didn't know better how to provide both type stability and flexibility.
Hopefully I will learn as I go. If you have a concrete way of managing that
in mind, do let me know (or implement it ;).

Petr