There are very few *nix based applications that observe the Windows
internet settings. R, most notably, allows you use the internet2 Windows
interface
<http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/rw-FAQ.html#The-Internet-download-functions-fail_002e>.

But this isn't observed by packages that use curl (e.g. devtools). In any
case, best to setup a local proxy and the environment variables described
below (not easy is it?)