I'm new to julia, trying to get PyPlot working. Eventually I hope to see
graphics in iJulia, but the GUI is not needed to reproduce the problem
detailed below.

At the command line, saying "julia" reveals the header logo, including
relevant version info:

Version 0.3.5 (2015-01-08 22:33 UTC)
Official http://julialang.org release
x86_64-linux-gnu

Then here is a transcript of my one-command interactive session:

julia> using PyPlot
Warning: error initializing module PyPlot:
PyCall.PyError(msg=":PyImport_ImportModule",
T=PyCall.PyObject(o=0x0000000093e401e0),
val=PyCall.PyObject(o=0x000000009131a1b8),
traceback=PyCall.PyObject(o=0x0000000091319fc8))

At this point I'm lost. Any suggestions? Searching this archive and others
suggested another command:

julia> Pkg.test("PyCall")
INFO: Testing PyCall
INFO: PyCall tests passed
INFO: No packages to install, update or remove

My system is Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS. The Ubuntu-supplied package
python-matplotlib is installed; so are ipython, ipython-notebook,
python-pip. Inside julia, I have used Pkg.add(x) with each x in "Winston",
"Gadfly", "PyPlot", and "IJulia".
I have another Ubuntu box on which all this works, but apparently I was too
casual about taking notes on my previous installation to be able to succeed
with a second one. Suggestions would be most warmly welcomed -- thanks!