Hello,

I've just read up on most recent conversations mentioning plotting, after I
went through a similar install-and-try-out cycle for the various plotting
packages.

I am busy with a package named ROC <https://github.com/davidavdav/ROC>
(Receiver
Operating Characteristic).  It is mostly about decision cost functions and
efficiently computing ROC statistics, but there is also some support for
making various plots related to the ROC.

I do not want to decide for a potential user of this package which plotting
package she should use.  So it would be nice if there would be an abstract
plotting API (I suppose this does not exist yet).

Supposing that it is possible to make an API that includes some common
plotting primitives, and that makes a runtime selection based on
`isdefined(plottingpackagename)`, how would you
 - overload a function, typically `plot()`, when at module-include time it
is not yet known which plotting package the user wants
 - specify the dependence of this package to any one of the available
plotting packages.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

---david