This issue will fix itself when `a[r]` returns a subarray with 0.4 (this
hasn't landed in master yet, and reminds me that the pending change will
require a huge documentation effort that change affect APIs).

The improved garbage collection that was merged in master recently will
likely greatly reduce the performance penalty for such short lived
allocations.

Ivar