If all you want to do is run Julia rather than build it (and the
soon-to-be-C++11 libraries that it depends on), then as Peter said the best
option is to use the generic Linux binaries. We just had to build GCC
ourselves on the centos 5 buildbot VM we use for those, because the
devtoolset does some strange packaging of libgfortran and libstdc++ that
don't quite work for the purposes of distributing Julia. The devtoolset
still works fine for building Julia locally though.