That's a pretty accurate write-up! :) Thanks for posting this.

As you might have figured out Interact's widgets rely on IPython's built-in
widgets, which are described here
https://github.com/ipython/ipython/wiki/IPEP-23:-Backbone.js-Widgets - but
that document is not very comprehensive, so I had to read some IPython code
that orchestrates these widgets. If you want to use these widgets though,
then you might just want to use Interact, the example notebooks give an
overview of how to use them in different ways (although the most popular is
@manipulate)