Ah, I see it’s been discussed and even documented. FWIW, documenting this
behavior in the pointer function would be useful for newbies like myself. I
agree with Stefan that the two argument pointer function should be deprecated
as it’s C-like behavior is inconsistent. If Julia pointer arithmetic is byte
based, that’s a reasonable convention that just needs to be understood, like
1-based indexing or FORTRAN array layout.

Sprinkling a few sizeof(T) in your code when you’re mucking about with pointers
anyway is a small price to pay. With C conventions, you’d do just as much
mucking about with convert(Ptr{UInt8},...).