The useful parts of SuiteSparse are all GPL. So, for a GPL-free build, it
is straightforward to completely avoid using SuiteSparse.

One of the things I want is to have a version of Julia built with Intel
compilers and linked to MKL. Julia can already use Intel's BLAS, LAPACK,
LIBM, and FFT routines. There is also a VML package for vector math
functions. The only big missing piece is sparse solvers - but perhaps that
is ok for people, who can use Intel's sparse solvers or MUMPS or something
else.

-viral