So I discovered the --track-allocation option and now I am really confused:

Here's my session:

$ julia --track-allocation=all
               _
   _       _ _(_)_     |  A fresh approach to technical computing
  (_)     | (_) (_)    |  Documentation: http://docs.julialang.org
   _ _   _| |_  __ _   |  Type "help()" for help.
  | | | | | | |/ _` |  |
  | | |_| | | | (_| |  |  Version 0.3.8-pre+13 (2015-04-17 18:08 UTC)
 _/ |\__'_|_|_|\__'_|  |  Commit 0df962d* (2 days old release-0.3)
|__/                   |  x86_64-redhat-linux

julia> include("test.jl")
test_all (generic function with 1 method)

julia> test_unsafe(5)

And here's the relevant part of the resulting test.jl.mem file.  Note that
I commented out some calls to 'size' and replaced with the appropriate
hard-coded values but the resulting allocation is the same... Can anyone
shed some light on this while I wait for 0.4 to compile?

        - function update(a::AbstractArray, idx, off)
  8151120     for i=1:320 #size(a, idx)
        0         a[i] = -10*off+i
        -     end
        0     a
        - end
        -
       - function setk_UnSafe{T}(a::Array{T,3})
      760     us = UnsafeSlice(a, 3)
        0     for j=1:size(a,2),i=1:size(a,1)
  8151120         us.start = (j-1)*320+i #size(a,1)+i
        -         #off = sub2ind(size(a), i, j, 1)
        0         update(us, 3, us.start)
        -     end
        0     a
        - end