Integer is an abstract type and thus kills performance if you use it in a
type and need to access it frequently. There was discussion somewhere about
renaming abstract types like Integer and FloatingPoint to include the name
Abstract in them to avoid accidents like this. I guess this shows that it
might not be a bad idea.

If you see surprising allocations in your program it is likely a type
stability issue and if you are on 0.4 the @code_warntype macro is your
friend.