earlier this year, as a volunteer, i spent an hour on six consecutive Friday
afternoons introducing middle school students (aged 12 - 14) to Julia ...

we got familiar with the REPL, the IJulia notebook, JuliaBox, Jupyter
(on tmpnb.org) ...

we extended a Rock Paper Scissors program:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock-paper-scissors#mediaviewer/File:Rock_Paper_Scissors_Lizard_Spock_en.svg

and surveyed some of the sample programs in Julia at:

   http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Category:Julia

generally, kids like the language, and the really like
programming in groups.

enjoy !!!

cdm