On Saturday, 9 May 2015 18:18:28 UTC+1, Jameson wrote:

> It might be a problem with windows. In particular, windows has 3
> semi-independent environment variables. Julia uses the Win32 API
> environment, but there are also two posix environ arrays (unicode and not
> unicode) that might be getting used by R. Additionally, some
> languages (such as Tk) make a copy of the environment upon startup in order
> to expose it as a normal string array in the language, making the problem
> even worse. (
> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/stxk41x1(v=vs.110).aspx)

Okay, I lied. I did keep looking, and that's exactly the problem: we're
using the unicode set function (which only changes the unicode array),
whereas R uses the non-unicode one (which when setting changes both).

For anyone else interested, the details are here:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/tehxacec(v=vs.80).aspx