I actually don't think it is really that hard... for the most part, Julia
needs better performance and better compatibility in some areas, that
haven't received as much attention as of yet... (strings, decimal floats,
database access).  None of these things will take anything away from what
what the core team wants to achieve for their "target audience", and they
can get unpaid (by them) help willing to work hard on improving those
areas... (it's called enlightened self-interest ;-) ).