To quickly follow up on the training materials comment,

David Sander's tutorial that he delivered at SciPi is available
here: https://github.com/dpsanders/scipy_2014_julia . David is also doing a
tutorial at JuliaCon I believe.

I have used something similar for a couple of sessions, the material is
available here: https://github.com/aviks/learn-julia . Feel free to reuse.

Regards
-
Avik