i am now back from my trip and have returned to this (i did try to look
while away, but it seems that it was only on one of my machines - the one
turned off and hidden from burglars in the closet - that was affected).
anyway, pulling from git and rebuilding julia fixed the issue - it's now
back to 9 allocations (256 bytes) instead of 300,000,000 allocations (4578
MB).

thanks,
andrew