On Friday, July 10, 2015 at 5:51:05 AM UTC-4, Fabian Gans wrote:

> Hi Cedric,
>
> a macroexpand shortcut for the REPL shouldn't be a big problem, I just
> tried to prototype one and it seems to work fine:
> https://github.com/meggart/julia/commit/73c96897572cedf10f74fd09907232c706bbdf48
>
> Is there any special functionality/problems which I don't see that should
> be considered?

Cool, thanks! I don't build from source, but I look forward to that support
in the future.

You can see how SLIME (the Common Lisp emacs support library) does it here
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBcPNr1CKKw&list=PL2HCA9vU95bsKlhegE6-_Wiks3EpzXuoF&index=4&t=593>.

I use mostly IJulia these days, and I don't see a clean mechanism for
integrating it in there, but Jupyter is moving at a steady pace, so maybe
in a few releases.

The main use for Emacs' macroexpand is to understand how a complex macro
works in a given piece of code, and to debug new macros. The ability to
selectively macroexpand and contract specific portions of the tree is
important.

Best,

Cédric