The decision to use ASCII strings is one that  [image: Homepage] made for
me.
The task that led to this question is organize and store (as a compressed
jld) IANA standard timezone names and city names as given therein and to
automatically reintroduce them as just as they were as internal constants
for a packaged module when others use that facility.  I can hardcode them
into a subfile, and probably will.  I have to do much the same thing with
many preprocessed numerical vectors, and those must live in compressed jld
files because, most of the time almost all of it will not be used (and it
is inappropriate to precensor the coverage).