Ian --

 "I can imagine a long-winded solution where the relevant time units are
extracted and differenced, but I was hoping for simpler.." -- as you
should!

When I saw you use Hour in the first example, I thought you were doing some
thing where hour counts were the focus ... (I will prepare a more  fully
helpful example).