I want to use sparse matrices in which the nonzeros are fixed-sized dense
matrices.  The matrix is of size m*p by n*q with nz nonzero blocks, each of
size p by q.  Generally p and q are very small but m, n and nz can be large.

In a CSC representation of such a matrix, A, the  A.colptr and A.rowval
arrays are of lengths n+1 and nz, respectively, and A.nzval is a
3-dimensional array of size p by q by nz

Does this type of structure appear elsewhere?  I think I have seen
descriptions in some sparse matrix packages of arrays like this where p and
q might be stencil sizes.   I'm fine with creating the structure and its
methods myself but I also don't want to reinvent the wheel.

Mostly I want to evaluate products of such matrices.