See the previous discussion
here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/julia-dev/NOF6MA6tb9Y

… which looks like it culminated in the OffsetArrays.jl
package: https://github.com/alsam/OffsetArrays.jl

But you'll need to be very careful about how you use them since they break
a core assumption about how arrays work.  I would advise against doing much
more than scalar indexing unless you manually vet the implementations (in
fact, it'd be safest if they weren't listed as subtypes of AbstractArray).
 And you can't use the `end` keyword safely within an indexing expression,
either.

Things will get a little better with 0.4, assuming OffsetArrays is updated
to take advantage of some of the new array work there (like eachindex and
colon lowering).  But even then, you'll still be flirting with trouble
(which may manifest itself as silent computation errors).