Probably the wrong place to post this, but I couldn't find a julia-diff
list :)

I'm having stability issues computing the derivative of functions I only
know on (non-uniform) grids. For example, I have a grid of x (I can't
choose this) and the associated values of y = f(x). I've tried a few
different things:

- using different kinds of finite difference schemes
- Fitting the data with many types of approximating functions
(interpolating cubic B-splines, chebyshev polynomials, smoothing cubic
splines, shape preserving quadratic hermite polynomial splines, ect.)

For one of the functions I have this (x, y) data for, I also happen to have
data on the first derivative of y. All the methods I've tried do terribly
at approximating this derivative. I'm looking for a more reliable
alternative, even if it is expensive to compute.

Do any of the differentiation experts here have any suggestions or good
references I can look to for how I might achieve better stability in this
situation? I'm happy to code up a new algorithm we haven't implemented yet
if someone knows about one.

Thanks!