On Sat, 12 Sep 2015, Frank Kampas wrote:

Is it possible to create sparse matrices with a rank other than 2?

I'll let the Julia experts answer this question (I suspect the answer
is no).  However, I'm curious -- what is your use-case?  Do you have a
problem requiring sparse arrays of dimension 3 or more?  What is the
problem?

From my limited knowledge, sparse matrices arise from a small set of
typical problems:

*  Differentiation operators in finite difference problems.
* Finite element analysis * Representation of graphs

What kinds of problems would require sparse arrays of more than 2
dimensions?

Stuart