Thanks for the detailed answers.  They were very helpful.

This sort of thing where you have data -> calculated abstraction -> recover
data, is so
frequent that having a generic way of building this sort of tool will be
hugely valuable.
Recovering data by text is useful, but there are times where graphics is
necessary.
The  nature of my question is if you have the data and a calculated
abstraction can you
hotwire your stuff to do something similar to what you are doing.  After
your infrastructure
work, it is just a matter of time until others add more interfaces.   This
 is really exciting stuff.
Thanks