On Monday, September 21, 2015 at 12:18:12 AM UTC, Daniel Carrera wrote:

> On 21 September 2015 at 01:36, Páll Haraldsson <pall.ha...@gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>
>> I know about @devec but wander how close Julia is also able to match the
>> speed of its looks with more condensed code or MATLAB-like or functional
>> programming language style. What are the most interesting issue numbers to
>> look at, if you were to try to help? I'm guessing its not one of the easier
>> "up-for-grabs" issues, for relative newbies like me..
>>

> Sorry, I don't understand what you are trying to ask.

I really just meant, with the loop, the code goes from 2 to 6 lines. Is
three times LOC a drawback of Julia to get speed (note you do not *have to*
expand if speed isn't critical, and much code isn't). Compared to C/C++
that is competetive, but may not be against say MATLAB. The code was
already fast there and didn't need a loop. I assume/understand this is a
temporary situation, and maybe I or anyone can help fix it.

> Another thing I saw:
>> "String is not a concrete type. Consider ASCIIString or UTF8String. "
>>
>> This would not apply in Python, UTF8, UTF16 etc. could be in a type (a
>> new one that can hold the others through composition?) that "just works"
>> [fast]? Windows uses UTF16 and then choosing UTF8String there would be bad?
>>

> No, that's not what it means. UTF8String will be fast too. In Julia there
> are two kinds of types: concrete types, and abstract types. A concrete are
> things like:

Thanks for answering. I knew about abstract vs. concrete. What I meant
here, "UTF8String will be fast" yes, but if you are on Windows the API uses
UTF16 and I assume you'll be converting needlessly back and forth. That
might not be a problem, you are maybe I/O-limited. But if not, will Windows
always be second class platform, for code that assumes UTF8 (or wise
versa..)? Will Julia at least compete will with Python for string
handling..?