> it would be nice to have a more obvious way to automatically fix things
> like globals that could be declared const, or maybe even automatically
> wrapping global code in functions?

I think these words reflect exactly the point I wanted to make. I
understand the grandiosity that is envisioned for the language, but until
we get there, if problems like the ones pointed in that post is not solved,
you are basically saying that Julia is "a language that will allow you,
expert C programmer, to fast-write code that runs a bit slower!".

"Julia *can* be faster than most alternatives, and it takes much less
> effort and much less code alteration to make it happen.

Or that "Julia is a high-level programming language that allows people to
develop software or packages that deliver C-Like performance" = You don't
just open a REPL and start firing up code that will run in light speed!