+1 to having a String type that I can just use and it works if I don’t care
about any of the encoding subtleties.

From: julia-users@googlegroups.com [mailto:julia-users@googlegroups.com] On
Behalf Of Stefan Karpinski
Sent: Monday, September 28, 2015 8:28 AM
To: Julia Users <julia-users@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [julia-users] Why is String deprecated in favour of AbstractString?

There's another reason: I am planning to use `String` as the name of a standard
string type in a future version of Julia (hopefully 0.5). This string type will
be UTF-8-like but can hold arbitrary data, which will distinguish if from the
UTF8String type, which will enforce valid UTF-8 encoding.

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 9:56 AM, Steven G. Johnson <stevenj....@gmail.com