I got it working now.  The suggestion to start with an empty ~/.julia/
didn't work, but fortunately I just renamed .julia to .oldjulia and kept
everything there. After removing the empty directory, I restored .oldjulia
to .julia and then Pkg.update()found a whole slew of new versions of
packages.  I'm dumfounded, but happy again with jupyter-notebook and the
julia kernel.

Another oddity I noticed is that I have a sub-hierarchy of stuff under
.julia/, namely

.julia/v0.3/
.julia/.julia/v0.3/

There are many duplicate files underneath these two levels.  Is this normal?

Thanks all for the suggestions!