Thank you for the suggestions. I'm actually helping a colleague debug this,
so I don't know the exact sequence of commands that were tried. I'm going
to recommend just nuking the Julia v0.4 user directory, upgrading to the
Julia v0.4 stable release and trying to install PyPlot again. If this
doesn't work, I'll post again here.