You can pass in an init=empty keyword argument to lift / consume, and the
initial value of the signal will be an empty UI. The actual value will be
computed next time the input signal udpates. You should also provide a
typ=Any kwarg to lift / consume so that if you replace empty with something
that is not Empty, you do not get a type conversion error. something like:

selected_tab = Input(1)
vbox(
    tabs(["a", "b"]) >>> selected_tab,
    lift(selected_tab, typ=Any, init=empty) do page_no
        // compute page at page_no
    end
)

may be what you need. To avoid recomputing when you switch to tab 1 and
then to tab 2 and then back to tab 1, you will need to memoize the function
you pass to lift...