On Sunday, October 18, 2015 at 1:15:50 PM UTC, Simon Danisch wrote:

> Besides the current flaws,

As already argued ("fully OOP", just not in the traditional way/syntax),
not a flaw, just different ("composition-over-inheritance"). Don't you
agree with "no flaw"? You seem, by what you continued with..:

I think it's a better model for numerical computing,

I can also see that, from the typical example. I'm however having a hard
time of thinking up an example where multiple dispatch helps otherwise..
but at least it seems it should never be worse.. Anyone have a good
example, even for a business class application..?

> it yields concise code, easier maintenance

Yes, that is just a feeling I also have, "more concise" (compared to
single-dispatch, without considering other stuff that helps), that
automatically implies easier maintenance. Probably better "separations of
concerns". I would like to see "design by contract", should be possible
with a macro, anyone already done stuff like that?

I never looked too closely at aspect-oriented-programming (or even
subject-oriented) and AspectJ (for Java), but seems like something like
that would also be a candidate for a macro.

and it's easier to add feature to an existing code base than it is in OOP.

I would think..

> I think Julia should move forward by not mimicking OOP further, but
> instead improve the current model - there's lots to do already.

Do not know what you mean by "lots" left. There seem to be macro solutions
already available to even more general things than multiple-dispatch
("predicate dispatch"). Do you want some things already implemented with a
macro included in Julia's syntax without a macro needed?

Wasting time by chasing after features from other languages will make it
> much harder to turn Julia into a well rounded, sound language. (this only
> applies to feature that get chased without a concrete problem)

For me, I'm not sure adding much more syntax is needed, maybe just add some
macros already implemented into Base? If not there, or people not aware of,
then Julia might seem less powerful.

--
Palli.