There’s no way this transition is going to be smooth without work from
package devs to ensure compatibility anyway, but recent history (e.g. the
Tuplocalypse) shows that packages recover quite rapidly due to the
automated testing done by PkgEval.jl. Thus, packages with decent test
suites will probably get a heads-up that this change is breaking for them
long before 0.5.0 is released.

Given that these changes potentially allow quite extreme performance gains
in many applications, I find it unlikely that package devs won’t want to
spend some time fixing any bugs this behavior change introduces, but for
those that just want to pin their package down before fixing it, they can
say julia 0.4 0.4 or similar in their REQUIRE.jl, and not even allow
installation on 0.5 (until they fix the problems, change the REQUIRE.jl and
tag a new version). Note that many (most?) packages won’t even need this -
package testing on the master branch will reveal to devs whether a package
even needs touch-up or not.

I used from __future__ import print at the top of my python scripts for a
long time, so I’m entirely in favor of something like that. However, I
guess the behavior needs to be implemented and done in the master branch of
Julia before we know exactly how to mimic it in a package (if it’s even
possible).

// T

Why not do this via Compat.jl ?